Easy and FUN these delectable treats are a nice addition to any type of baby shower you may be planning. Delicious these macaroons sell for as much as $65.00 for 48.
With a little love and time you can create them and share with guests. Present these exciting dessert snacks on a tiered serving platter to create a colorful presentation.
Makes 32 servings
- 2 1/2 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- 8 ounces finely ground almonds
- 12 tablespoons fresh egg whites (approx. 6 extra-large eggs)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Your choice of macaroon filling
STEP 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and ground almonds.
STEP2: Whip egg whites and salt on medium speed in electric mixer until foamy. Increase speed to high and slowly add granulated sugar. Whip until stiff glossy peaks form. Use a spatula and carefully fold confectioners’ sugar mixture throughout.
STEP 3: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a pastry bag or ziplock bag and cut corner tip and fill with batter.
STEP 4: Pipe 1 inch disk shapes onto baking sheet. Leave space between each cookie disk. Let stand at room temperature approximately 15 minutes until a soft skin forms on tops.
STEP 5: Bake with the oven door slightly ajar, for approximately 15 minutes, the surface of the macaroons will become dry.
STEP 6: Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Gently remove from parchment as they are fragile.
STEP 7: Fill a pastry bag or ziplock bag with filling. Pipe filling on the bottom of macaroon and sandwich filling with another macaroon. Refrigerate for about 1 hour and serve. Best when served same day!
- Apricot: Add 2 drops of orange food coloring to the egg whites after they are whipped. Add apricot jam for filling.
- Lemon: Add 2 drops of yellow food coloring to the egg whites after they are whipped. Many types of lemon filling are a delicious addition, but keep it simple with lemon icing.
- Cassis: Add 2 drops of purple coloring to egg whites after they are whipped. Add cassis jam for the filling.
- Pistachio: Add 2 drops of green food coloring to the egg whites after they are whipped. Combine ½ cup macaroon filling with 1 tablespoon pistachio paste for the filling.
- Raspberry: Add 2 drops of yellow food coloring to the egg whites after they are whipped. Add quality raspberry jam filling.
- Chocolate or White Chocolate: Add 2 drops of brown food coloring to the egg whites after they are whipped or leave plain for white chocolate. Add slivers of chopped chocolate or white chocolate for filling.
- Coffee(watch caffeine, not allowed during pregnancy): Add 2 drops of brown food coloring to the egg whites after they are whipped. Blend ½ cup macaroon filling with 1 ½ teaspoons espresso powder dissolved with ½ teaspoon of warm water.
Decorate tops with confectioners sugar, sprinkles of chocolate, or toasted sesame seeds to add a special finishing touch. Bake raspberry for an all girl baby shower! Enjoy!